Zookeeper & Grounds Keeper at Clonfert Pet Farm
Full Time, Permanent
Shift and Schedule
Working hours are 40hrs a week on a roster including weekends and bank holidays. A flexible attitude to hours is required.
€23,000 - €29,000
- On site parking.
- Food allowance.
Closing date for Application
Established in 2009, Clonfert Pet Farm started out as a small open farm and since then has gone from strength to strength with the addition of a variety of exotic animals. We are a dynamic, friendly, family-orientated park. Through our school tours, educational room, informative signs, charity events and, of course, our animals, we aim to inspire a passion for both native and exotic wildlife in the younger generations.
We have made considerable investment in the past 3 years upgrading the infrastructure. We strive for the highest in animal husbandry, conservation, and education. Our vision is to provide a destination where nature and animals are a backdrop to a wide range of exciting activities for a fun day out.
This is an exciting opportunity working as part of a small team with primary responsibility for the management and welfare of our domestic and exotic animals. The successful candidate will play an active role in the daily care of the animals at Clonfert Pet Farm. They will be passionate and knowledgeable about wildlife and will have the skills required to communicate this passion and knowledge directly to our young visitors.
As well as animal husbandry the role also involves grounds management and general upkeep.
This position welcomes new ideas, which can be discussed with senior management.
The duties of the post will include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the daily management, care, and welfare of all animals within the park.
- Prepare and deliver approved diets to a variety of species whilst maintaining high standards of hygiene.
- Delivering medication, when necessary, as directed by the vet and senior staff.
- Maintaining animal enclosures and exhibits.
- Implementing our behavioural enrichment program.
- Training and conditioning for health checks.
- Observing the daily behaviour, health, and security of all animals.
- Animal observations and record keeping; inputting animal records and data onto daily record sheets and the Zims database etc.
- Assisting where appropriate with the movement of animals within the park as directed by senior staff.
- Ensuring the highest standards of animal welfare are always being adhered to.
- Ensuring that safety and emergency procedures are always adhered to.
- Public speaking and interacting with guests. Good communication skills and an ability to connect with our young visitors is an important part of this job.
Other job holder expectations:
- Ensure continuous improvement in all aspects of your work and responsibilities.
- Demonstrate professionalism towards sensitive and confidential information.
- Comply with and promote Health and Safety policies and procedures and to undertake recommended Health and Safety training as and when required.
- Undertake such other duties as are relevant with the position when required.
- Assisting with enclosure maintenance, servicing, and refurbishments.
- Assisting with the cleaning and maintenance of all areas within the zoo.
- The successful applicant will be expected to undertake basic gardening and general grounds maintenance tasks as directed by senior staff/manager.
NB: This job description is designed to outline a range of main duties that may be encountered. It is not designed to be an exhaustive list of tasks and can be varied in consultation with the post holder in order to reflect changes in the job or organisation.
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age and have, as a minimum, a clean provisional driving licence.
- Hold an Animal based qualification.
- Applicants will have at least 2 full years paid work in animal care with an understanding of the principles of animal welfare.
- Experience in caring for a variety of species would be advantageous.
- Capable in the handling and restraint of a variety of species.
- The ability to demonstrate a strong work ethic. A responsible and enthusiastic approach to their work with a commitment to high standards of animal welfare, environmental enrichment and conservation as well as public education.
- Have high standards of hygiene when working.
- An ability to communicate in a professional manner including good interpersonal skills.
- The successful candidate will be able to work well as part of a team, follow orders and have the ability to use their initiative.
- Good practical and maintenance skills, e.g., exhibit maintenance, fence maintenance, electric fence repairs etc.
- Applicants must have a good level of fitness as this role is physically demanding and should be capable of working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Attention to detail and a tidy/organised outlook on the working environment is essential - in all areas of the farm, including public areas.
Clonfert Pet Farm is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for team members who share that same value.
To apply please send a CV with a brief cover note to [email protected]